Insurances and Responsibilities


Anyone participating in a Nordic mission must have the necessary medical, accident and liability insurance in case of need.

The following information is an overview of the insurance required for a northern mission. Consult your institution's website for more details.

Medical and hospital expenses incurred while on a northern mission may be partially covered by the Régie de l'Assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) and must be supplemented by group or personal insurance (held by the individual or his/her parents).

The RAMQ covers most medical expenses in case of accident or illness. However, some expenses, such as transportation by ambulance (land or air) are not covered. It is therefore recommended that you take out personal health or travel insurance that covers evacuation costs. It is important to have adequate coverage for both emergency evacuation (from the study site to a #1 health center) AND repatriation (from the #1 health center to a hospital appropriate for the situation).

Outside of Quebec, the RAMQ can generally reimburse expenses that do not exceed the cost of an equivalent service in Quebec. It is strongly recommended that you have insurance that covers expenses not covered by the Régie d'assurance maladie du Québec. Note that there is no agreement between the Régie d'assurance maladie du Québec and the Northwest Territories or Nunavut even though these territories are located in Canada.

The CSST offers insurance protection only in the event of an accident to a salaried person (employee or student) while on the job. In all other cases, only personal insurance covers the victims of an unfortunate event.

Tugo (anciennement Travel Underwriters)

Croix Bleue du Québec

Financière Manuvie

For your information, here is the insurance coverage you should look for when staying at an isolated research station:

  • accident and illness coverage up to $2,000,000 - $5,000,000
  • emergency repatriation by air ambulance included
  • no maximum for emergency evacuation (i.e. from Bylot to the nearest health center in Pond Inlet)
  • standard coverage is $5,000; this must cover transportation by Twin or helicopter
  • coverage for your entire stay (or even a few extra days)
  • check for exceptions, especially if you are an international student

Academic institutions generally carry worldwide liability insurance that covers the liability of its staff, students and postdoctoral fellows. This insurance covers actions related to teaching or research and not activities done for personal gain or for the benefit of a student association.

No personal property is insured by the universities (computers, cameras, etc.)

No personal vehicles are insured by universities even if they are used for teaching or research activities.

University insurance generally covers damage to university-owned vehicles while on university business. The driver must have a valid driver's license and be authorized to operate the vehicle.

Universities generally do not insure rented vehicles, so you must purchase insurance from the rental company (if your university institution has an agreement with rental companies, check to see if insurance is included).

© 2024 Centre for northern studies - All rights reserved