Dear members and friends of the International Society for Diatom Research,
Welcome to the website of the 24th International Diatom Symposium (IDS 2016) which will be held from 21-26 August 2016 on the
campus of Université Laval, Québec City, Canada!
The Symposium will take place at the Hydro-Quebec auditorium in the modern Alphonse-Desjardins building
(Pavillon Alphonse-Desjardins) at Université Laval.
We are happy to announce that the final Program & Abstracts book is now online!
You don’t have to print the Program & Abstracts Book for IDS 2016. You will receive a hardcopy in your welcome package.
The schedule and program for IDS2016 (see General schedule or Program & Abstracts) have now been updated, and we are happy to be able to announce symposium sessions and their chairs,
plenary speakers, special workshops and tributes.
We are especially proud to bring together experts from all fields of research on modern and fossil diatoms, both from marine and freshwater systems, including molecular, physiological, evolutionary, ecological,
biogeographic, paleoecological, biomonitoring, systematic/ taxonomic, economic and other aspects of research on diatoms! This should lay the foundations for a most stimulating meeting and interesting exchange of ideas!
Social program: because it’s important to have the opportunity to relax and to interact with colleagues in an informal setting while attending the symposium, we have organized social
activities that are open to all IDS participants (see Social program). These social events will take place in the evenings, following poster sessions. It will be important to register for the different activities at the registration
desk during the icebreaker reception on SUNDAY, 21 August in order for us to be able to manage them properly. These activities are not included in the registration, so you will need to pay for them separately if you
choose to participate. However, we have tried to keep costs to a minimum.
Information related to other hotels and hostels in the vicinity of the university campus is provided under the section Accommodation. Rooms and suites in the local student residences on
the university campus have been made available at reduced fees for symposium attendees. Reservation works on a first come - first served basis, so please make your reservations soon.
We are looking forward to welcoming you to Québec City soon !
Reinhard Pienitz and the Local Organizing Committee
- Early Bird registration: 15 April 2016 at 5 pm (17h00) sharp EST (Eastern Standard Time)
- Late registration: 1st July 2016 at 5 pm (17h00) sharp EST (Eastern Standard Time)
- Post-Symposium excursion registration: 24 April 2016 at 5 pm (17h00) sharp EST (Eastern Standard Time)
- Abstract Submission: The deadline for abstract submission is 1st May 2016 at 5 pm (17h00) sharp EST (Eastern Standard Time)
- No registration for the banquet will be possible after the late registration deadline.
- No refund will be possible after the respective registration deadlines. Administration fees will be applied for reimbursement.
The members of the Local Organizing Committee are:
Dr. Reinhard Pienitz – Université Laval - Quebec City
Dr. Dermot Antoniades - Université Laval - Quebec City
Mr. Paul Hamilton - Canadian Museum of Nature - Ottawa
Dr. Isabelle Lavoie – INRS-ETE - Quebec City
Dr. Michel Poulin - Canadian Museum of Nature - Ottawa
Dr. Émilie Saulnier-Talbot - Université Laval - Quebec City
Mrs. Claudia Zimmermann - Université Laval - Quebec City
The members of the International Scientific Committee are:
Dr. Marco Cantonati - Museo delle Scienze - MUSE (Italy) & ANSP Drexel University (USA)
Dr. Sarah Davies - Institute of Geography and Earth Sciences - Aberystwyth University - UK
Dr. Mark Edlund - St. Croix Watershed Research Station - Science Museum of Minnesota - USA
Dr. Regine Jahn - Botanischer Garten & Botanisches Museum – FU Berlin - Germany
Dr. Peter Kroth - Fachbereich Biologie - Universität Konstanz - Germany
Dr. Nora Maidana - Departamento de ciencias biologicas – Universidad de Buenos Aires - Argentina
Dr. Shigeki Mayama - Department of Biology - Tokyo Gakugei University - Japan
Dr. Marina Potapova - Academy of Natural Sciences - Drexel University - Philadelphia - USA
Dr. Michael Reid - School of Behavioural, Cognitive & Social Sci. - University of New England - Australia
Dr. Koen Sabbe – Department of Biology - Ghent University - Belgium
Dr. Jonathan Taylor - Environmental Sciences & Management - North-West University - South Africa
Dr. Xiangdong Yang - Nanjing Institute of Geography and Limnology - China
IDS 2016 8th announcement (19 August, 2016)
- We are happy to announce that the final Program & Abstracts book is now online!
- Social program is now available
IDS 2016 7th announcement (13 june, 2016)
- 1st Young Scientists Meeting (YSM) second announcement
IDS 2016 6th announcement (6 April, 2016)
- Important updates on workshops
- For registration, email the workshop presenter – no registration fees
IDS 2016 5th announcement (24 March, 2016)
- 1st Young Scientists Meeting (YSM) first announcement
IDS 2016 4th announcement (15 February, 2016)
- The post-symposium excursion (26-30 August 2016) is now open for registration
- Excursion page is now online
IDS 2016 3rd announcement (28 January, 2016)
- Program and schedule for IDS 2016 have been updated
- Announcement of symposium session themes and their chairs, plenary speakers, special workshops and tributes
- First call for abstracts
IDS 2016 2nd announcement (4 December, 2015)
- New design for the web site
- Registration page is now online
- Announcement of financial support grants
- General schedule is now available
IDS 2016 1st announcement (18 February, 2015)
- IDS 2016 1st announcement